Saturday, May 31, 2008

A Resolve to Florida and Michigan

It seems that we may have seen the end to the Florida and Michigan issue. I watched a little bit of it today when both sides made their cases and both Clinton and Obama had some very passionate individuals speak on their behalf. I didn't catch her name, but a black female state senator from Florida made a very passionate and eloquent case for Clinton in regards to Florida. On the opposite side I thought Rep. Wexler did an outstanding job representing the Obama camp as he made his case. Another very eloquent speech.

I did wish that the Chair would've taken action against the Clinton and Obama supporters in the audience who were being disrespectful such as yelling during speeches and booing. It wasn't very appropriate at all.

I think that in the end the DNC made the fairest compromise that they could do.

There was no way that the Clinton camp's Michigan proposal was going to fly. They wanted Clinton with I believe 73 or so delegates. The remaining 55 or so would be uncommitted at the convention.

Sometimes politics is all about compromises. Just as Henry Clay.

So they decided to seat all the delegates, but give them half votes. I am not sure how super delegates are affected by this. They may be included in the numbers I'm going to show, they may not be. The media doesn't really say that right now. If they are, I'm not seeing it anywhere.

Clinton got 105 delegates from Florida and 69 from Michigan. Because the votes are halved, she has a total of 87 votes.

Obama got 67 from Florida and 59 from Michigan leaving him with 63 votes.

So Obama leads Clinton by 178 delegates.

The so-called magic number is now 2117 which means that Obama is now short roughly 64 delegates. There are 291 left which includes the uncommitted superdelegates.

There is the possibility and Clinton backer Harold Ickes suggested that she may appeal this decision to the Credentials Committee. It looks like she may have to wait until Denver to do so. We will have to wait and see.

She certainly has the right to fight this to the convention, but is it the best thing to do? It is expected that a convention battle for an election this contested may leave some damage. Maybe the Dems won't be able to fully unite for the fall. After the convention they have about three months to do this. At least if she concedes in June the Democrats have some healing time. However I nor anybody else really has the right to tell her to quit. We can merely suggest it.

I just hope that this ends well. I do not believe that Clinton has any shot at becoming the nominee. As for November? It is way too early to call anything. McCain may have a head start, but once the ball gets rolling I have a feeling the Democrats will catch up to him. I could be wrong about that. We cannot predict an election now. The Democrats however need to get their nominee and they need to get ready to face the Republicans.

That's how I see it.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/31/dems.delegates/index.html

5 comments:

NEPAConservative said...

This is all BS. ALL votes should be counted. This is what the Democrats were screaming about in 2000 and 2004. To compound that they were also screaming about that the popular vote should be the deciding factor not the electoral college. And they have Super Delegates. What's up with that ?

We should all vote on the same day. Primaries on different dates are ridiculous. Who did I have to vote for ? McCain, McCain or McCain ? Every 4 years I have my candidate picked for me before I even have a chance to vote.

Tony Thomas said...

I hate the idea of superdelegates. I think that is one of the worst ideas ever. Apperantly they came about after McGovern lost. It is one of the dumbest ideas ever. Party leaders and politicians should not get an extra vote.

And I do agree with you on the primaries. It would be a lot easier to have them all on the same day. Perhaps the middle of the current primary season. That would give all candidates enough time to campaign and there would be no influence by other states.

I originally wanted to vote for Kucinich, but he dropped out way before our primary so I had to decide back in January who I wanted to support. Barack or Hillary? By time some of the states down the road like Pa and especially South Dakota and Montana the decision may already be made.

One big primary/caucus day is not a bad idea. Just imagine how many heads will explode on the news stations.

NEPAConservative said...

DUDE ! The aliens dropped him off in this insane asylum years ago. Coo Coo Coo Coo Anybody but him. Yikes !

Kucinich...the only thing I like about him is his hot wife. She's 6years YOUNGER than me and he's old enough to be my Grandfather !!! In the words on Nepolian Dynamite...LUCKY !

Elizabeth...
http://www.walkblackforest.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/Dennis_Elizabeth-jpg.jpg

Tony Thomas said...

I guess a benefit to being a politician is that no matter how unattractive you are there is still a pretty good chance your wife will be smoking hot.

Unknown said...

As the old saying goes, politics is show business for ugly poeple.