Monday, June 23, 2008

We Lost The Funniest Man in the World

I heard around 8 a.m. this morning that George Carlin died of a heart attack.

I stopped dead in my tracks. I read the message from my father in a text message.

"George Carlin died last night. Heart attack."

Carlin had three previous ones.

I fell in love with his humor about three years ago when I listened to his album "FM&AM" on an old tape cassette of my dad's.

During the summer of that year I bought his book "Brain Droppings."

I read it in a few hours. I could not put it down. I laughed my ass off.

And now it is a sad time for comedy.

I was lucky enough to see him live about a year and a half ago at the Kirby Center. It was a great show, but you could tell that he was getting old and that perhaps his health was not so great. Still he delivered an excellent performance.

I love his albums and I love his books. Sure he did get mean-spirited towards the end of the road, but some of us do get bitter.

Some people called him vulgar or offensive. His humor wasn't light. It wasn't always warm. Carlin made a point in some of his bits to point out how things that are offensive or vulgar can be funny depending on the context of the joke. He was absolutely correct.



One of his funniest routines in my opinion.

No comments: